If you are planning to upgrade to Windows 8, the best time to upgrade is before January 13, 2013. Before that date Microsoft is allowing users to upgrade from their existing installations of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 for just $39.99 (INR 2000 approx). The usual retail price of Windows 8 Pro is $169.99 otherwise.
Microsoft has stated that you need to have a genuine license of XP, Vista or Windows 7 in order to qualify for this upgrade. But as reported by many, even if you are running a pirated version of Windows you can easily upgrade without any hassle. Do not be confused with the “upgrade” term, the license key that you will purchase during upgrade can also be used to do a fresh new install of Windows 8 by removing Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.
So if you liked Windows 8 (nothing wrong there at all) and are planning to upgrade your existing Windows PC to Windows 8, we have listed down the easiest steps for you below:
Note: The limitation for upgrading to Windows 8 is – If you are running Windows 7 on your PC, you can keep your personal files, apps and settings during upgrade. If you’ve been a Vista user, you can only keep personal files and settings. If you’ve been a Windows XP fan, you can only retain your personal files. (small price to upgrade, isn’t it?)
- First of all you will need to download a new handy app from Microsoft called Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. This app makes upgrade to Windows 8 virtually painless. Download Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.
- Run the Upgrade Assistant on the Windows PC that you want to upgrade to Windows 8.
- The upgrade assistant will take a while to scan your PC for installed applications and hardware. After the scan is complete, you can see the report of all compatible or incompatible programs and devices.
- If there are any incompatible programs that are listed in the report, you will have to uninstall them before going ahead with the upgrade (Older version of Adobe Photoshop or an antivirus maybe).
- On the next screen, you will be given an option to keep your installed applications (compatible ones), settings and personal files (only on Windows 7).
- The next screen will give you an option to order your license for Windows 8 Pro. Click on Order button to proceed. If you want to download your upgrade of Windows 8 (around 2 GB in size), it may take a while depending on your Internet Connection. But if you want to order an official Windows 8 Upgrade DVD, you will need to pay extra.
- If you do not want to pay extra for Windows 8 Pro DVD, simply click Checkout to continue.
- Now the Upgrade Assistant will connect to Microsoft store and ask for you name, address, email and billing address. Provide the correct information and continue to next screen.
- The following set of screens will ask for your payment method and information. The last screen will also ask for a Promotion Code, enter if you have one.
- Once you click on the Buy button, you are done ! You will receive your Windows 8 Pro upgrade key. It is recommended that you also view and print your receipt from the same screen.
- To continue the upgrade procedure of your Windows installation click on Next. Upgrade Assistant will continue to download required files to upgrade. This might take a while.
- After the download is complete, you can follow the on screen procedures to complete the upgrade.