We had recently covered an article showing steps to root your Moto E and install TWRP recovery on it. As exciting as rooting your device sounds, let’s accept the fact that sometimes things can go wrong, leaving your device unusable and “bricked“. But even a bricked Moto E can be revived very easily. In this post we will show you how to revive your “bricked” Moto E. This guide can also be used if you have bricked your device by flashing a wrong ROM for Moto E. Using this guide you can flash stock firmware of KitKat 4.2.2 on your Moto E. Please note that it will not lock the bootloader on Moto E again. Moto E device uses software fuse to keep a track for unlocked bootloader. At the time of writing this post it is possible to lock your bootloader but not possible to remove Unlock bootloader warning at boot time.
How to Fix Bricked Moto E
1) To get started with flashing Stock Firmware, we need to download the Firmware file from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=34.
2) Extract the files from xml.zip file to a folder on your computer. Please note down the version of your phone and it should match with downloaded firmware. Flashing wrong file will not help to revive your bricked device. To get the correct version of your phone, refer to Phone Packaging Box.
3) At this point we are assuming that you have Motorola USB driver installed on your PC. In case you have not installed the driver, head over to https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481 and install the driver.
4) Another tool we need to download is mfastboot. With normal fastboot binary it is not possible to flash some files to the device. You can download mfastboot from http://techylab.com/go/mfastbootv2/. After downloading the mfastboot file, copy it to a directory where you have extracted all Firmware files.
5) To get started with flashing ROM, we need to keep the device in Bootloader mode. To restart the device in bootloader mode, simply press power button and down volume key simultaneously for 4 sec and release both key. The device will be booted into bootloader mode.
6) Now connect your Moto E with mini USB data cable to your PC and open command prompt to pass the following commands:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
Also while passing all the above commands, you should get the status as “OKAY”.
Also you will see that there is scrolling text on Device in yellow color.
Voila! you have flashed the stock ROM on your device and your device will be running again without any problem. You have just revived your device again 🙂
Credits : XDA Developer Forum